Friday, January 30, 2015

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference.

My son, after 6 months clean and sober, relapsed one night and committed a crime.  A crime that put him in prison for 3 years, two of which he has already served.  Before that night I had such hopes that the worst was over and that he was on his way. 

I was startled awake at 5 am by a loud pounding on the front door.  My husband was on a business trip. I stumbled to the door as I threw my robe on. I saw through the side windows of my door, the uniforms of the police.  My stomach dropped and my heart was pounding.  I opened the door and 4 police men entered my home and asked if I knew where my son was.  A question I have grown to fear. As they explained why they were looking for him, everything went into slow motion for me.  My legs went weak and I fell back onto the stairs behind me. Could this really be happening?  My mind raced thinking about where he was and what had happened.  As they took him away that morning in handcuffs, in my despair I had the distinct feeling that this event would save his life. 

After 10 months in the county jail he was sentenced to prison.  He had just turned 20.  He was scared and I was devastated.  The day they transported him to the prison, I thought it wasn’t until the next day. I called the jail to check on something and the officer informed me that he had been taken that morning.  I thought I was prepared, but I wasn’t.  I slumped to the floor and sobbed uncontrollably.  I had never felt such despair. That was the first day of my life that I stayed in bed all day, because I couldn’t face my life.

As the days and weeks passed I found myself…not myself.  I didn’t want to talk to anyone. (not like me) I isolated myself and only did what I had to.  I was suffering with anxiety and had trouble leaving the house most days.  I cried all the time.  I think it was not just his sentence, but the years before of living with his addiction.  I had kept myself and my family running even though my son was killing himself.  I just couldn’t pretend to be alright anymore. 

Then one day I knelt down and asked God to direct me to where I needed to be.  Within a few days I had a job at Cirque Lodge, the rehab that my son had gone to before his arrest.  I wasn’t looking for a job.  But the universe answered and put me exactly where I needed to be.  It was hard at first.  Everything about that place reminded me of him.  The first time that I stood in the circle holding hands with people I didn’t know and saying the serenity prayer, I could barely speak.  I choked up with emotion every time.  But, as I continued to go and work with the residents, a healing began.  My healing. I loved hearing their stories and encouraging them in any way I could.  As I attempted to help them, I was being healed.  As I loved them, they loved me back.  We laughed and cried together.  There were many moments of personal realization for me.  I got in touch with myself in a way I hadn’t for years.  I respect and admire those that work there.  They go about this work of saving lives like their own lives depend on it.  I watched the intensity they had as they did their jobs. Many of them are in recovery.  They know what it is to suffer with addiction and they are heroes to me.  What great friends I made.  After 8 months I feel like myself again.  I am back to the me I knew before the suffering started.  Except, I’m a different kind of me.  Maybe wiser, maybe stronger, for sure more compassionate.  That job saved me in ways I can’t explain.  Now I’m ready to get on with my life and pursue my dreams.  I will always be a work in progress.  Now, I understand the importance of self-care and how vital it is to have boundaries. I know that I will always need support in this life of living with addiction in my family.  However, now I feel I have the tools I need to cope…


God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! You are amazing. Thank you for sharing this. The serenity prayer is special to me.

    ReplyDelete